“Best” is subjective – you and I may disagree on which Anti Virus does the “Best” at removing spyware, malware, viruses etc. In reality you need an arsenal – something designed to do each job very well. The one I use on my personal computers for Anti Virus is Avast. The reasons for this choice are listed below:
Avast, has a free Anti Virus (http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download). If you are paying for Norton or Symantec (two horrible products that only make it because they have government contracts) – switch to avast. Here is why:
- Avast is Free Antivirus Software
- Avast doesn’t use as much memory as Norton/Symantec
- Avast has a better detection rate
- I’ve been using it for about 4 years, and it’s always the one I like the best
- I fix computers regularly that are infected and have Norton Antivirus on it
- Symantec is decent, but I won’t pay for it!
- Norton Antivirus updates have crashed 15 of 20 servers that I updated one time.
- Symantec permissions have completely destroyed a server I worked on once
- I never have problems from Avast for personal computers
One tip though: go to the properties and turn off the sound, else you’ll have a voice shouting through your speakers at 3am “Antivirus Database has been updated!”
There – now you have no excuse or not having an antivirus program running